Friday 7 May 2021

1975-09-04 - Top Of The Pops Magazine - "A Man Of Many Voices..." Interview

Interview text

A MAN OF MANY VOICES…
He's a man of many parts — that‘s Adrian Baker. All the evidence is on his chart smash single Sherry. You see Adrian did almost everything on this disc. Well, he didn't write the song, nor did he play drums on the recorded disc but he did arrange the song, produce it, play all the other musical instruments, sang and even used his own name on the finished product!
Sherry relies on vocal harmony and as Adrian says, “I know all about harmonies. I know arrangements, and I know about sound.” He formerly worked on other hit-makers' records, but this time he had decided the lime-light would be his. The choice he made has turned out for his good and already his next single is planned and presumably recorded. He was rather coy at giving its title though he did say there was some similarity with a famous Beach Boys disc.
Adrian, who comes from llford, once played in a local pop group. He gained considerable performing experience but success didn't come so he decided the recording studios offered more interesting employment. “So I stayed in music and one day playing around in the studio I started multi-tracking myself singing Sherry.
“l knew I’d found a hit”. And the future?
“I aim to be a recording studio artist and nothing would make me happier than to become someone like Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.” Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment